UK Genealogy Archives logo

Clawton, Devon

Historical Description

Clawton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The-village stands near the rivulet Claw, 3 miles S of Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R, and has a post office under Hols-worthy. The parish comprises 5387 acres; population, 461½ The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £65. The church has been restored. There are Methodist and Bible Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
HundredBlack Torrington 
Poor Law unionHolsworthy 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Clawton


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Clawton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Clawton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.

DistrictTorridge
CountyDevon
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX22
Post TownHolsworthy