Eridge Castle, Sussex
Eridge Castle, the seat of the Marquis of Abergavenny, in Sussex, 2½ miles SSW of Tunbridge Wells. The estate connected with it belonged to Earl Harold, and passed, upwards of 500 years ago, into possession of the Nevilles (Marquis of Abergavenny). An old mansion occupied the site of the present one, gave entertainment to Elizabeth during six days in 1578, and was the residence of Lord North at the time when he brought the Tunbridge waters into notice. The present mansion was built since the commencement of the present century, and is in very bad architectural taste. The circumjacent park comprises about 7000 acres, and in-eludes Sasonbury Hill, with ancient circular entrenchment, and a prospect tower, commanding a magnificent view.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: