Danehill, a village and a chapelry in Sussex. The village stands 2½ miles from Sheffield Park station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 8¼ NE of Cuckfield, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Uckfield. The chapelry is in Fletching and Horsted-Keynes parishes, and was constituted in 1851. Population, 1214. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; value, £93 with residence. The church of the Holy Trinity was pulled down in 1893,. and a costly new church on a new site was erected by Mrs Hardy of Danehurst, as a memorial to Herbert Carey Hardy, her husband. This new church, dedicated to All Saints, is one of the most beautiful in the county, and finely situated. There is a working-men's club.
Online maps of Danehill are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: