Churchstow, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Avon, 2 miles NW by N of Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under Kingsbridge. The parish contains also Venn hamlet and the Kingsbridge workhouse. Acreage, 2803; population. of the civil parish, 390; of the ecclesiastical, including Kingsbridge, 1888. Leigh, an ancient grange-house of the Abbey of Buckfastleigh, with a fine 13th century gateway,. now used as a farmhouse, belonged to the Hayes, the Oldhams, and the Bickfords. The living is a vicarage united with Kingsbridge in the diocese of Exeter; value, £240. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, consists of nave, chancel, north transept, and south aisle, and was restored in 1848 and in 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Churchstow St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Churchstow from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Churchstow (St. Mary))
Online maps of Churchstow are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cVenn
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.