Burwash or Burghersh, Sussex
Burwash or Burghersh, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands on an affluent of the river Rother, 2½ miles WSW of Etchingham railway station, and 8 NW of Battle, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office (S.O.) It was formerly a market-town, and is a seat of petty sessions held at Hurst Green. Acreage of the civil parish, 7452; population, 2093; of the ecclesiastical, 1340. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £614 with residence. The church is Early and Later English in style, and was restored in 1856, and again in 1890. A chapel of ease in the Early English style was built at Burwash Common in 1867. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels, and a Roman Catholic church dedicated to St Joseph. Burwash gives the title of Viscount to the Earl of Westmoreland.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: