UK Genealogy Archives logo

Church Stanton, Devon

Historical Description

Church-Stanton, a parish in Devonshire, on the verge of the county, on the Black Down Hills, 5 miles from Hemyock station on the G.W.R., and 8 from Taunton. It is divided into the portions of Churchingford, Burnworthy, Red Lane, and Stapley, and it contains the post office of Churchingford under Honiton; telegraph office, Hemyock railway station. Acreage, 5436; population, 672. Otterhead, an Early Tudor mansion, is a seat in the neighbourhood. Very fine iron ore exists, and appears, from many remains of works, to have been anciently smelted. Numerous barrows and indications of Roman works are seen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £344. The church is ancient, consists of nave, chancel, south aisle, and western tower, and contains a carved oak pulpit and a very ancient font. There are small Baptist and Wesleyan chapels. Salkeld, a theological writer of the time of James II., was rector.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishChurch-Stanton St. Paul 
HundredHemyock 
Poor Law unionTaunton 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Church Stanton from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Villages, Hamlets, &c

Churchenfort or Churchingford

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.