Brambletye House, Sussex
Brambletye House, a ruin 2½ miles SE of East Grinstead, in Sussex. It possesses little intrinsic interest, but has some notoriety through Horace Smith's romance. The house was built in the time of James I. by Sir Henry Compton, and belonged in 1683 to Sir James Rickards, who fled from it under a charge of treason.
Online maps of Brambletye House are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: