Bersted, South, Sussex
Bersted, South, a village and a parish in Sussex. The village stands ½ mile N of Bognor station on the L.B. & S.C.R., and 1 from the coast, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Bognor. The civil parish extends to the shore, and includes Bognor and the tithings of North Bersted and Shripney. Acres, 2738 of land and 226 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 4!)53; of the ecclesiastical, 1782. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church was consecrated in 1405; consists of chancel, nave, and aisles; has a tower with large buttresses and an obtuse shingled spire. The remains of Sir R. Hotham, the founder of Bognor, are buried in the churchyard, which is now closed by order in Council. A cemetery of 5 acres was formed in 1885. The perpetual curacy of Bognor is a separate benefice.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||South Bersted St. Mary Magdalene|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bersted, South from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bersted, South (St. Mary Magdalene))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: