Bayham, a hamlet in Frant parish, Sussex, on the verge of the county, on the river Tun, 4 miles ESE of Tunbridge-Wells. A Premonstratensian abbey was removed hither in 1200 from Otteham or Otham, and largely endowed by Robert de Thurnham and Ela de Sackville; was given at the dissolution to Cardinal Wolsey; passed afterwards to the Montagues; and was purchased in 1714 by the ancestor of the Marquis Camden. The marquis has now a villa here, amid beautiful grounds, and takes from the place the title of Viscount. The ruins of the abbey, comprising the churcli and some contiguous buildings in a state of tolerable preservation, stand in the grounds, and show interesting features of Decorated Early English and some Decorated additions.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Sussex newspapers online: