UK Genealogy Archives logo

Tilford, Surrey

Historical Description

Tilford, an ecclesiastical parish, consisting of part of Farnham civil parish and the ancient ville of Waverley, Surrey. It is a ward of Farnham rural parish, and stands on the river Wey, 2½ miles SE of Farnham station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Farnham; telegraph office, Frensham. Population, 636. Green Hills and Tilford House are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1868.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySurrey 
Civil parishFarnham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Church Records, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Tilford from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.


Online maps of Tilford are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:

Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.

RegionSouth East
Postal districtGU10
Post TownFarnham