Cheriton Bishop, Devon
Cheriton Bishop, a parish in Devonshire, 4 miles from Yeoford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 10 W of Exeter. It includes the hamlet of Cheriton Cross and part of the village of Crockernwell, and has a post office under Exeter; money order office, Dunsford; telegraph office, Yeoford railway station. Acreage, 4940; population, 560. The manor belonged formerly to the bishops of Exeter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £324. Patron, the" Bishop of Exeter. The church is Perpendicular English, and consists of nave, north aisle, south porch, and chancel, with a square tower. It was restored in 1884. A pleasure fair is held annually on Wednesday in Whitsun week. Ben-bridge House is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cheriton Bishop St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cheriton Bishop from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cheriton, Bishop (St. Mary))
Online maps of Cheriton Bishop are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCheriton Cross
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.