Ottershaw, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in the civil parish of Chertsey, Surrey. The village stands 3 miles SW by W of Chertsey station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Chertsey; money order and telegraph office, Chertsey. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1864. Ottershaw Park, Conningsley Park, and Queenwort are beautiful seats in the district. A finely-situated golf ground adjoining Conningsley Park was opened in 1895. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £260 with residence. The church, built in 1864, is in the Early English style, of brick with stone facings, and consists of a four-bay nave and an apsidal chancel, with a spire 60 feet high. There are three homes for destitute children, a good working men's club, and some extensive nursery grounds in the parish.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of Ottershaw are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.