Chawleigh or Chawley, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Dart, 2 miles E of Eggesford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 2 SE of Chulmleigh, is irregularly built, but very pleasantly situated, and has a fair on 6 May. Post town, Chulmleigh. Acreage, 5532; population, 613. The manor and about three-fourths of the property belong to the Earl of Portsmouth. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; tithe commuted at £470 with residence. The church is an ancient structure with a tower, has a splendid carved screen, and was restored in 1874; the rectory house was built in 1880. There are Congregational and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chawley St. James|
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chawleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chawley (St. James))
Online maps of Chawleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.