Holmwood, North and South, Surrey
Holmwood, North and South, a tithing in Dorking parish, and a chapelry in Dorking and Capel parishes, Surrey, with a station on the L.B. & S.C.R., 30 miles from London, and 2 S of Dorking. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Dorking. The chapelry was constituted in 1839. Population, 1270. Holmwood Common was anciently a chase of the Earls of Warrene, was noted in Defoe's time for its fine red deer, is now dotted with holly bushes, and has pleasant and varied views. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester; value,, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1838, was afterwards altered and enlarged, acquired a new S aisle in 1862, and contains monuments of the Larpents and the Cazalets.
North Holmwood was formed into an ecclesiastical parish, out of South Holmwood, in 1874. Population, 541. The church, erected in 1875, is a building of flint in the Early English style. The living is a vicarage; gross value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.