East Sheen, Surrey
Sheen, East, a hamlet and a chapelry in Mortlake parish, Surrey. The hamlet lies near Mortlake station on the L. & S.W.R., half a mile S of the Thames and 2 E by N of Richmond, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The chapelry was constituted in 1864. There are numerous fine villas, most of them with very beautiful grounds, and much of the area is shaded and beautified with magnificent oaks, chestnuts, and cedars. The living is annexed to Mortlake. The church was built in 1863 and enlarged in 1886; it is in the Decorated style. Earl Spencer is lord of the manor.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Online maps of East Sheen are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.