Cadeleigh, a parish in Devonshire, on the Exe Valley branch of the G.W.R., 183 miles from London. Post town, Tiverton. Acreage, 2182; population, 260. The surface rises into bold romantic hills, with brilliant views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; value, £226 with residence. The church, which has been restored, is old, consists of nave, chancel, north aisle, and western tower, contains a canopied monument to Sir Simon Leach, and stands on high ground, forming a conspicuous landmark. There is a Congregational chapel at Little Silver.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cadeleigh St. Bartholomew|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cadeleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cadeleigh (St. Bartholomew))
Online maps of Cadeleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cLittle Silver
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.