Cadbury, a parish in Devonshire, 2½ miles from Thorverton and Cadeleigh and Bickleigh stations on the G.W.R., and 6½ ENE of Crediton. It has a post office under Tiverton; money order and telegraph office, Thorverton. Acreage, 1880; population, 234. The manor, with Fursdon House, belongs to the Fursdon family. Cadbury Castle is the remnant of an ancient British earthwork, was the rendezvous of Fairfax's army for several days in 1645, and has yielded a quantity of antique ornaments, found at the bottom of a well. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £126 with residence. The church is a substantial structure of the 15th century, and was restored in 1860.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cadbury St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Tiverton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cadbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cadbury (St. Michael))
Online maps of Cadbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.