Brockham or Brockham Green, Surrey
Brockham or Brockham Green, a village and a chapelry in Betchworth parish, Surrey. The village stands on the river Mole, 1½ mile SW of Betchworth station on the S.E.R., and 2 miles E of Dorking. It has a post and money order office under Betchworth (R.S.O.), which is the telegraph office. The chapelry was constituted in 1848. Population, 1030. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester; gross value, £140 with residence. The church is a neat edifice in the Norman style, with a spire, and there are a Baptist chapel and a girls' orphanage. There is also an infants' home.
The register dates from the year 1847.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Surrey History Centre, have images of the Parish Registers for Surrey online.
Church of England
Christ Church (parish church)
Christ Church is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, erected on a site given by the late H. T. Hope esq. and has a central tower with spire containing a clock and one bell: a new organ was presented in 1902 by R. Gordon esq.: there are 300 sittings.
Particular Baptist Chapel
The Brockham Home and Industrial Training School was established in 1859 by the late Hon. Mrs. Way, of Wonham Manor, for orphan girls between the ages of 3 and 16 years, who were taught all kinds of household work so as to fit them for domestic servants and were also provided with a home when out of a situation. This school was certified by the Poor Law Board and Local Government Board under the 25 and 26 Vict. cap. 13. There was also an Infants' Home, established in the year 1872 by Miss Way for 14 infants, and a residence for the matron; the whole under the control of a committee of ladies.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Surrey is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Surrey papers online:
The Visitation of Surrey, 1662-1668 is available on the Heraldry page.