Burrington, a parish in Devonshire, on the rivers Mole and Taw, 2 miles from South Melton Road station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Chulmleigh, which is the money order office; telegraph office, South Molton Road (S.O.) Acreage, 5349; population, 678. The manor belonged anciently to Tavistock Abbey, and belongs now to the Earl of Portsmouth. Northcote belonged once to the Hankfords, passed to the Pollards, and belongs now to the Buckinghams. The surface of the parish is diversified, and shows some romantic scenery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £272 with residence. The church is an edifice of different dates from about 1150 to 1550, and was restored in 1869, consists of nave, chancel, and south aisle, with an embattled tower, and has a handsome carved oak screen. The piers supporting the roof arc solid monoliths of granite.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Burrington Holy Trinity|
|Poor Law union||South Molton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Burrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Burrington (Holy Trinity))
Online maps of Burrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.