UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Wangford, Suffolk

Historical Description

Wangford, a parish in Suffolk, 3½ miles SW of Brandon station on the G.E.R. Post town, Brandon. Acreage, 3285; population of the civil parish, 50; of the ecclesiastical, with Brandon Ferry, 2314. Wangford Hall was the residence of Lord Chief Justice Wright of the time of James II., and is now the residence of the Catchpole family. Extensive rabbit warrens are here, and sometimes furnish as many as 1200 rabbits weekly to the London market. The living is a rectory, annexed to Brandon. The church, an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, was restored in 1875.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishWangford St. Denis 
HundredLackford 
Poor Law unionMildenhall 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Wangford from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Wangford are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online:

DistrictWaveney
CountySuffolk
RegionEastern
CountryEngland
Postal districtNR34
Post TownBeccles

Advertisement

Advertisement