UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

South Elmham St George, Suffolk

Historical Description

Elmham (South) St George, St Cross, or Sandcroft. a parish in Suffolk, 1 mile from the river Waveney and the Waveney Valley branch of the G.E.R, 4 miles from Harleston station, and 5 SWfrom Bungay. The common and usual name of the village is " St Cross.'' Post town and money order and telegraph office, Harleston. Acreage, 1310; population, 222. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Homersfield, in the diocese of Norwich. The church is a building of flint in the Norman, Decorated, and Perpendicular styles. Some remains exist of a moated minster, with nave 72 feet by 27, and apsidal chancel, 24 feet.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountySuffolk 
Ecclesiastical parishSouth Elmham St. George 
Poor Law unionWangford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for South Elmham St George from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: