Buckland Tout Saints, Devon
Buckland-Tout-Saints, a parish in Devonshire, 2 miles NE of Kingsbridge station on the G.W.R. Post town, Mounts; money order and telegraph office, Kingsbridge. Acreage, 1872; population, 260. Buckland House is a chief residence. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Loddiswell, in the diocese of Exeter. The Chapel of St Peter was mostly rebuilt in 1779. The place is named after the Toussaint family, who resided there anterior to the 13th century.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register dates from the year 1807.
Findmypast, in association with the South West Heritage Trust, Parochial Church Council, and Devon Family History Society have the Baptisms, Banns, Marriages, and Burials online for Buckland Tout Saints
Church of England
The chapel of St. Peter, rebuilt in 1779, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, north porch and an embattled western tower containing one bell: there are monuments to the Clark and Brunskill families: the chancel was thoroughly restored in 1890-4, at a cost of £500, and a stained east window erected to the Brunskill family by Mrs. Irwin, late of Buckland Manor House: the windows of the transepts were filled with stained glass in 1911 in memory of Mrs. Irwin: the chapel has 125 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buckland Tout Saints from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buckland-Toutsaints)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.