UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Flixton (Bungay), Suffolk

Historical Description

Flixton, a parish in Suffolk, adjacent to the river Waveney, and the boundary with Norfolk, 3 miles SW of Bungay station on the G,E.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Bungay. Acreage, 1774; population, 168. Flixton Hall, the seat of the Adair family, is a fine mansionof red brick, originally built in the reign of Henry VIII., but which has undergone extensive alterations; contains valuable pictures by the Dutch and Italian masters, and .stands in a park of 600 acres. An Augustinian nunnery was founded in the parish in 1258 by Margery de Creek, and given at the dissolution to the Tasburghs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich; net yearly value, £106 with residence. Patron, Sir H. E. Adair, Bart. The church, a building of flint and stone in the Norman and Early English styles, was rebuilt in 1861.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Suffolk is available to browse.

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Suffolk papers online: