Buckland Brewer, Devon
Buckland-Brewer, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 3 miles from the coast, and 4½ SSW of Bideford railway station, and has a post office under Bideford, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Great Torrington. It was formerly a market-town. Acreage of the civil parish, 6111; population, 684; of the ecclesiastical, 676. The manor belonged in the time of Henry III. to the Brewers, and belongs now to the Bolle family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £148 with residence. Patron, the Crown. The church, which was restored in 1880 at a cost of £1500, is large, has a Norman door and a lofty tower, and contains many ancient monuments. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Buckland-Brewer St. Mary and St. Benedict|
|Poor Law union||Bideford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Buckland Brewer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Buckland-Brewer (St. Mary and St. Benedict))
Online maps of Buckland Brewer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cBilsford
Tythacott or Tithecot
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.