Brushford, a parish in Devonshire, 3 miles from Eggesford station on the L. & S.W.R., and 5 S by W of Chumleigh. Post town, Wembworthy, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Winkleigh. Acreage, 923; population, 69. The manor belonged anciently to Hartland Abbey, and has belonged since the time of Elizabeth to the Luxton family. The living is a private curacy in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £51. The church consists of nave and chancel, with porch and tower. It was restored in 1878.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Crediton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brushford from the following:
Online maps of Brushford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.