Broadwood Widger, Devon
Broadwood-Widger, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the acclivity of a hill, 4 miles from Lifton station on the G.W.R. and Ashwater on the L. & S.W.R., and 11 NNW of Tavistock. It has a post office under Lifton (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. The parish comprises 10,655 acres; population of the civil parish, 803; of the ecclesiastical, 671. About 1500 acres are open moorland. In 1884 a detached part of Lifton, known as Westweek, was amalgamated with this parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £290 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is an old edifice, and there are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Holsworthy|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broadwood Widger from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bradwood-Widger)
Online maps of Broadwood Widger are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.