Broadhempston, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 2 miles from the Dart river, 2½ from Staverton station on the G.W.R., and 4 N of Totnes, under which it has a post office; money order office, Ipplepen; telegraph office, Totness. The parish comprises 2200 acres; population of the civil parish, 525; of the ecclesiastical, 516. The manor belonged formerly to the Cantelupes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £280. Patron, the Crown. The church consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, and has an ancient oak screen. It was partly restored in 1879. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Newton-Abbott|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broadhempston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hempston, Broad)
Online maps of Broadhempston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.