Broad Clist, Devon
Broad Clist, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Clist, 5 miles NNE of Exeter, and has a station on the L. & S.W.R., 167 miles from London. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Exeter. It was burnt in 1001 by the Danes. The parish includes also the hamlets of Bere and Westwood. Acreage, 9326; population, 2003. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Crown, was given by Henry I. to the Novant family, passed to the Chudleighs, the Arundells, and others, and belongs now to Sir T. D. Acland, Bart. Killerton, on which is Killerton House, the seat of the Acland family, belonged once to a family of its own name, passed through several hands, and was purchased about the middle of the 17th century by the Aclands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; value, £495. The church is Later English, has a lofty tower, and was repaired in 1833. The chapel of St Paul, Westwood, erected in 1873, is a building of stone in the Decorated style. There is a domestic chapel in the park of Killerton House. There is also a Baptist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Broad Clist St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broad Clist from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Clist, Broad (St. John the Baptist))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cDog
Westwood (Broad Clyst)
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.