Brixton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands near the river Yealm, 4 miles SSW of Plympton station on the G.W.R., 3½ E of Plymstock station on the S.W.R., and 5 ESE of Plymouth, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Yealmpton. Acreage of parish, 3126 of land and 98 of foreshore and water; population, 622. The manor was long held by a family of the name of Brithrichstone, from which Brixton is contracted. Remains of a mansion of the time of Henry VII. are at Harestone. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £170 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is Decorated English, with a lofty tower, and was restored in 1893-94.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Plympton St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brixton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brixton)
Online maps of Brixton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.