Oscott, a village in Perry Barr township, Handsworth parish, Staffordshire, 4 miles N of Birmingham. St Mary's Roman Catholic College, Oscott, was founded in 1794 for both religious and secular education; was rebuilt in 1840, after designs by Pugin, at a cost of nearly £60,000; is a large cruciform edifice, of brick with stone dressings, and with a central tower and spire; and contains a chapel, oratories, libraries, refectories, dormitories, and other apartments.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Oscott from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Oscott)
Online maps of Oscott are available from a number of sites: