High Offley, Staffordshire
Offley, High, a village and a parish in Staffordshire. The village stands near the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, 3 miles E of the boundary with Salop, 4 SW of Eccleshall, and 5 NW by N of Gnosall station on the L. & N.W.R. The parish contains also the hamlets of Shebdon and Woodseaves, and its post town is Newport, Salop. Acreage, 2761; population, 787. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £210 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is ancient, was restored in 1887, and contains monuments of the Skrymshers and a monument of 1851 to Bishop Ryder.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||High Offley St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Newport|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for High Offley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Offley, High (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of High Offley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser
Villages, Hamlets, &cShebdon