UK Genealogy Archives logo

North Staffordshire Railway, Staffordshire

Historical Description

North Staffordshire Railway, a railway with numerous lines, chiefly in Staffordshire, extending to Ashbourne in the E, Burton and Colwich in the S, Market Drayton and Crewe in the W, and Macclesfield in the N. The company was incorporated in 1846, and obtained a Consolidation Act in 1847. It owns upwards of 180 miles of railway and 100 miles of canals. In addition to this it owns a half-share in the Macclesfield, Bollington, and Marple line, leases about 8 miles of additional line, and works over upwards of 200 miles of foreign lines.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: