UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bridford or Bridgeford, Devon

Historical Description

Bridford or Bridgeford, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Teign, 3 miles from Ashton station on the G.W.R., and 9 SW of Exeter, under which it has a post office; money order office, Dunsford; telegraph office, Moreton-Hampstead. Acreage, 4151; population, 429. A lead mine is worked. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £346 with residence. The church is a small structure with turreted tower, and has a fine screen. It was well restored in 1883.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyDevon 
Ecclesiastical parishBrideford St. Thomas à Becket 
HundredWonford 
Poor Law unionSt. Thomas 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bridford or Bridgeford from the following:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.

The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.