Lower and Upper Gornall, Staffordshire
Gornall, Lower and Upper, two villages and two ecclesiastical parishes in Sedgley parish, Staffordshire. The villages stand 1 mile S of Sedgley and 2 miles NW of Dudley, and each has a post and money order office of its own name under Dudley, and there is another at Gornall Wood; telegraph office, Lower Gornall. The tract around them abounds in fire-clay, and many of the inhabitants are employed in working this into brick and other articles, while many are employed also in collieries, hardware works, bellows factories, and malt-houses. The ecclesiastical parish of Lower Gornall was constituted in 1838, and that of Upper Gornall in 1844. Population, 6518 and 4506. The livings of both are vicarages in the diocese of Lichfield. Gross value of Lower Gornall, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. Net value of Upper Gornall, £206 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Sedgley. There are Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive, and New Connexion Methodist chapels in Lower Gornall, and Wesleyan and Congregational chapels in Upper Gornall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dudley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lower and Upper Gornall from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Gornall, Upper)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: