Hales, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Staffordshire, in the Tyrley quarter of Market Drayton parish, Shropshire. The township is united with Blore, and lies adjacent to Salop, 2¼ miles E of Market Drayton. Post town, Market Drayton. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1857. Population, 343. Hales Hall is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £190. The church was built in 1856 from designs by Sir G. Gilbert Scott. The battle of Blore Heath was fought in the parish during the Wars of the Eoses, and a stone cross still marks the spot where Lord Audley fell.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Drayton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hales from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Hales)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Hales are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: