Great Haywood, Staffordshire
Haywood, Great, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Colwich and Stowe parishes, Staffordshire, 1 mile NNW of Colwich. The village lies at the confluence of the rivers Trent and Sow, and at the junction of the Stafford and Worcestershire and the Trent and Mersey Canals, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Stafford. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1854, and includes the hamlet of Swansmore. Population, 614. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £250. Patron, the Earl of Lichfield and trustees. The church was erected in 1843 and enlarged in 1858. There are Roman Catholic and Primitive Methodist chapels. Shugborough Hall is the seat of the Earl of Lichfield. There is a stone bridge of 14 arches over the Trent.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stafford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Great Haywood from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Haywood, Great)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Great Haywood are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser