Bratton Clovelly, Devon
Bratton-Clovelly, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 8 miles WSW of Okehampton, 4 from Ashbury station on the L. & S.W.R., and 12 N by W of Tavistock, is large and scattered, and has a post office under Lew-Down (R.S.O.); money order office, Lifton; telegraph office, Ashbury. The parish comprises 7254 acres; population of the civil parish, 487; of the ecclesiastical, 550. The manor bore anciently the name of Bracton, and was the birthplace of Henry de Bracton, an eminent lawyer of the time of Edward I. An ancient earthwork, called Broadbury Castle, defended by vallum and fosse, is an eminence about 3 miles N of the village. About 2000 acres of the land are moor. Fairs are held on the second Tuesday in May and the first after 19 October. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £450 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is a fine edifice of the 15th century, with a lofty tower, and has a handsome font. There are also three Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bratton Clovelly from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bratton-Clovelly)
Online maps of Bratton Clovelly are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.