Etruria (popularly Trury), a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Staffordshire. The village stands on the North Staffordshire railway, and on the Grand Trunk Canal, 1 mile W of Hanley, 1¼ NW of Stoke-upon-Trent, and 2 SSE of Burslem, and has a station on the railway, and a post, money order, and telegraph office (T.S.O) under Stoke-upon-Trent. It is included in the municipal and parliamentary borough of Hanley. It was founded and named by Josiah Wedgwood, was the scene of many of those inventions and improvements by which he carried the manufacture of pottery to a state of high excellence, and was the place of his death, at Etruria Hall, in 1795. His potteries are still carried on by his descendants. There are extensive ironworks. The ecclesiastical parish includes the village, and was constituted in 1847. Population, 5397. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £227 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is a good stone edifice, and there are Wesleyan, New Connexion, and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stoke-upon-Trent|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Etruria from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Etruria)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Etruria are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: