Brampford Speke, Devon
Brampford-Speke, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Exe, with a station on the G.W.R., 186 miles from London, and 4 N of Exeter, under which it has a post and money order office; telegraph office, Thorverton. Acreage of parish, 1163; population of civil parish, 350; of the ecclesiastical, 443. The manor belonged anciently to the family of Espek or Speke. It is now the property of the Earl of Iddesleigh. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £339 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is very ancient; consists of nave, north aisle, chancel, and south chapel, with western square tower; and has been completely restored.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brampford-Speke St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||St. Thomas|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brampford Speke from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brampford-Speke (St. Peter))
Online maps of Brampford Speke are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cCowley or Cowley Bridge
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.