Coven, a liberty, a village, and an ecclesiastical parish in Brewood parish, Staffordshire, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool Canal, 1½ mile SSW of Four-Ashes station on the L. & N.W.R., 2 miles SE of Brewood, and 5 N of Wol-verhampton. There is a post office under Wolverhampton; money order and telegraph office, Brewood. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1858, and includes the hamlet of Standeford. Population, 619. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £288 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Brewood. The church is a cruciform building erected in 1857. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penkridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coven from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coven)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Coven are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: