Cotes, a township and an ecclesiastical parish in Eccleshall parish, Staffordshire. The township lies about 4 miles NNE of Eccleshall,and adjoins the main lineof theL.&N.W.R., Standon Bridge station being within its boundaries. The ecclesiastical parish bears the name of Cotes Heath, and was constituted in 1844. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Eccleshall. Population, 498. It includes the townships of Cotes, Mill Meece, Cold Meece, and parts of Aspley and Slindon. The manor has belonged to the Cotes family since Domesday. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £275 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Eccleshall. The church was erected in 1837, the chancel being added and other improvements made in 1891.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cotes from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cotes)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Cotes are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online:
- Staffordshire Advertiser
- Tamworth Herald
- Lichfield Mercury
- Staffordshire Sentinel
- Wolverhampton Chronicle and Staffordshire Advertiser