Coseley, an ecclesiastical parish in Sedgley parish, Staffordshire. It stands on the Birmingham Canal, 1 mile S of Bilston, 3 miles N of Dudley, and 3 SE of Wolverhampton. It has a post and money order office (T.S.O.) under Bilston, a station at Deepfields on the L. & N.W.R., another at Daisy Bank, and a third at Princes End, both on the G.W.R. The inhabitants are employed chiefly in the iron and coal trade. There are nail, hook, and chain works, iron foundries, cement works, and brickfields. The ecclesiastical parish of Christchurch, Coseley, was constituted in 1832. Population, 8854. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £300 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is modern, and was enlarged in 1886. The ecclesiastical parish of St Chad, West Coseley, was constituted in 1884. Population, 4198. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £223. Patron, the Bishop of Lichfield. The church was erected in 1883. The ecclesiastical parish of St Mary the Virgin, Sedgley, was constituted in 1873; population, 4201. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £250, The church is situated at Hurst Hill, and was erected in 1872. There are mission churches, and Baptist, Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Unitarian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Dudley|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Coseley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Coseley)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: