Bradford, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Torridge, 7 miles NE of Holsworthy, and 2½ from Dunsland Cross station on the L. & S.W.R. Post and money order office, Brandis Corner; telegraph office, Dunsland Cross railway station. Acreage, 4133; population of civil parish, 482; of ecclesiastical, 334. Dunsland has a fine old baronial mansion; it belonged at the Conquest to Walter de Cadiho, and passed to the Arscotts and the Bickfords. Hengiscott lias traces of a fortified camp, supposed to have been formed by the famous Hengist. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £263 with residence. The church has a tower and some monuments; it was restored in 1889.. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels in Middlecott hamlet-a part of Black Torrington included in the civil parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bradford All Saints|
|Poor Law union||Holsworthy|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bradford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Bradford (All Saints))
Online maps of Bradford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.