Brereton, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Rugeley parish, Staffordshire, 1½ mile SE of Rugeley, with a post office under Rugeley, which is the money order and telegraph office. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1843; population, 1955. Coal is worked. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; gross value, £301 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Rugeley. The church, enlarged in 1878, is a fine building in the Gothic style, and contains a font of Caen stone, a handsome reredos, and stained windows. There are six almshouses for poor widows, and a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Lichfield|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brereton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Brereton)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Online maps of Brereton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: