UK Genealogy Archives logo

Bishopswood, Staffordshire

Historical Description

Bishopswood, an ecclesiastical parish in Brewood civil parish, Staffordshire, 3 miles W of Brewood, 5 W of Four Ashes station on the L. & N.W.R., and 10 NW of Wolverhampton. It includes the hamlet of Kiddemore Green. Post town, Stafford, which is the money order and telegraph office. Population, 410. There was a small Benedictine nunnery here from the time of Richard I., and a residence in this parish preserves the name of Blackladies Abbey. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield; net value, £280 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Brewood. The church was erected in 1848, is cruciform, and has a small embattled tower with spire.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyStaffordshire 
HundredCuttlestone 
Poor Law unionPenkridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The register dates from the year 1852.


Churches

Church of England

St. John the Evangelist (parish church)

The church of St. John the Evangelist, erected in 1848, is a cruciform building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts and a small embattled western tower with spire containing one bell and a clock, placed in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria in 1897: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. John Buckham, first vicar of the parish; other stained windows are in memory of the Misses Evans of Boscobel, Sir T. W. Evans bart. of Boscobel, and the Rev. T. B. Garland M.A. vicar 1888-1906.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Bishopswood from the following:


Land and Property

A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: