Aston (Stone), Staffordshire
Aston, a hamlet in Stone parish, Staffordshire, on the river Trent, 2 miles SE of Stone; forming, with Burston and Stoke, an ecclesiastical parish. It has a post-office under Stone, which is the money order and telegraph office. Population, 540. The manor belonged anciently to the Astons, and passed to the Hevinghams and the Simeons. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield: value, £230. The church is modern, with a tower and spire. There is a small Roman Catholic chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stone|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of St. Saviour dates from the year 1843.
Church of England
St. Saviour (parish church)
The church of St. Saviour, built in 1845, is an edifice of stone in the Early Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, south porch and tower on the northwest with spire and containing a clock and one bell: there are sittings for about 200 persons, 100 being free: on the east side of the churchyard is a mausoleum belonging to the Parker-Jervis family.
St. Michael's Catholic Church
St. Michael's Catholic church, erected in 1884 in place of an earlier structure, built in 1846, is of stone, with a tower and north-east-porch; in 1899, the high wall formerly enclosing the church was taken down, a tower erected, new altars to the Sacred Heart, the Blessed Virgin Mary and St. Michael provided, and the sanctuary and baptistery refloored: there are five fine old paintings hanging in the church, which has sittings for 70 persons.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston (Stone) from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aston, with Burston and Stoke)
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Staffordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Staffordshire newspapers online: