Bondleigh or Bundley, a parish in Devonshire, on the river Taw, 2 miles NNW of North Tawton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, North Tawton, North Devon, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1632; population, 141. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £200 with residence. The church is ancient, partly Norman, with a lofty square tower. It was restored in 1889.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bundley St. James|
|Poor Law union||Oakhampton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bondleigh from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bundley, or Bondleigh (St. James))
Online maps of Bondleigh are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.