Blackawton, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands 6 miles W of Dartmouth, and 6¾ from Kingswear station on the G.W.R. It has a post office (R.S.O.) under Totness; money order and telegraph office, Dartmouth. Acreage of parish, 7447 of land and 36 of foreshore and water; population of the civil parish, 1015; of the ecclesiastical, 588. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; gross value, £96 with residence. The church is Perpendicular English, and contains a carved oak pulpit and screen, and several neat monuments, and was well restored in 1887-the chancel in 1892-93. The hamlet of Street was formed out of the civil parish of Blackawton into an ecclesiastical parish in 1881. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blackauton St. Michael|
|Poor Law union||Kingsbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blackawton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Blackauton (St. Michael))
Online maps of Blackawton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.