Black Torrington, Devon
Torrington, Black, a village and a parish in Devonshire. The village stands on the river Torridge, 4½ miles from Halwill Junction on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Highampton; telegraph office, Hatherleigh. The parish comprises 5681 acres; population of the civil parish, 619; of the ecclesiastical, 791. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Glove-making is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £320 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1535, and is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, with a handsome embattled western tower. There are two Bible Christian chapels. Coham and Bears Court are the chief residences.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Black Torrington St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Holsworthy|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Black Torrington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Torrington, Black (St. Mary))
Online maps of Black Torrington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following newspapers covering Devon online:
Villages, Hamlets, &cMiddlecott
The Visitation of the County of Devon in the year 1564, with additions from the earlier visitation of 1531, is online.
The Visitations of the County of Devon, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, with additions by Lieutant-Colonel J.L. Vivian, published for the author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter 1895 is online.