Vobster, a chapelry in Mells parish, Somerset, 5½ miles W by N of Frome station on the G.W.R. It was constituted. in 1851, and its post town is Coleford, under Bath. Population, 283. The living is a vicarage, united with Mells, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Patron, the Rector of Mells, The church is a small building of stone in the Decorated style. There are some limestone quarries and coal wharves situated in the village.
Ancestry.co.uk, in association with Somerset Archives & Local Studies, have images of the Parish Registers for Somerset online.
Online maps of Vobster are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Somerset papers online:
- Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette
- Taunton Courier, and Western Advertiser
- Western Gazette
- Wells Journal
- Somerset County Gazette
The Visitation of Somersetshire, 1623 is available on the Heraldry page.